Thursday, September 18, 2008

Burn Wall Street Burn


As a former government employee now transitioned to the private sector, I still vividly remember that look on people's faces: that "Oh, you work(ed) for the government, they can't do anything right." Even many of my current acquaintances are those that still espouse that theory that the free market is the only way and that business is so much more efficient than government could ever be. "Government needs to be smaller, my taxes need to be cut, government is getting in the way of innovation, there is too much regulation, etc., etc., etc." I'm sure you have heard them all too. Then something major happens, like a bridge collapses, a hurricane destroys an entire region twice in 3 years, or say those guys on Wall Street that were supposed to be the smartest guys in the room, totally FUBAR the market. Who does everyone come running to bail them out? They want to call on government to help them, like they are giving a confession on Sunday morning. "Oh, Government please forgive me. I'll never do it again if you just help me this one time." It's priceless really and would be somewhat funny and ironic if we were the ones that ended holding the bag and footing the bill in the end.

0 Comments:

blogger templates