Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Hip Hop Knowledge Base---The Top 5 Emcees You Hear EveryDay




"B! B!! I finally understand it" said my serrogate younger brother Kendall. "I finally understand why you hate on our rappers today...I heard someone use a sample and I was able to identify it"

A smile came across my face coupled with a feeling of jubiliation that I finally reached this 19 year old's mind as to how wack radio hip hop is in 2006.

"So what happened K?"

"Dude...I was listening to Sirius Radio this evening, and on Shade 45 (Eminem's radio station for those Siruis Radio impaired)" And then he said it...

"Sampled Diddy's song!"

Okay, except for Irv Gotti who the hell would be in their right mind to sample a Puffy beat? But I took the bait

"Who sampled Puff's song?"
"Some guy named Public Enemy...he even stole the name of Diddy's song...Public Enemy #1..had the beat and everything"

If I had the powers of the son of Jor-El combined with he who is known for having the greatest crinimal mind in the world, my heat vision would've instantly labotomized this individual as I would've said under my breath "what a mornoic statement"...I had so much rage within me.

Kendall's statement above is an exampe of how commerical radio is contributing to the lack of balance currently expereinced within Hip Hop. LL Cool J himself could not have imagined how many people in my age group (roughly 25-34...Sean Carter and other party promoters would call this demographic "grown & sexy" but that's another blog) would frown at the phrase "I can't live without my radio" in 2006. Because most of these cats are flat out garbage

However, before I just articulate my overal disdain for the game as it stands now. Being a student of the Hip Hop culture I am willing to give props to at least 5 players in the game who have caught my ear, and I have even gone as far to verbally (and financially) support some of these dudes. So without futher adue here are my top five emcees that you I appreciate on commercial radio

Honorable Mention #3: Kanye West

My favorite girl wanna leave me just because I got a girlfriend
my freak girl told me "now, she a christian"
my white girl wanna move back to Michigan
I'm pullin girls off the bench like a sixth man

----Kanye West "This Way" Dialated Peoples f/ Kanye West


When I first heard this cat, I thought he was an intelligent Mason Betha. But since 2003, I've grown to appreciate "Kanye to the..." for his beats, wit, rhymestyle, fashion sense and overall arrogance. (BTW, those of you that say Kanye is way too arrogant, explain to me why it is you like the Jigga man again?). Kanye is a breath of fresh air to commercial radio, as he is currently accomplishing what Marley Marl and Pete Rock have tried to accomplish during their prime (create dope beats, get optimal radio play, and not have people frown when you come on the mic trying to rhyme). Bravo Kanye! He's definately here to say.




Honorable Mention #2 Bubba Sparxx I was just telling some friends of mine that Bubba Sparxx may have to call it a career after his latest effort Charm has only moved 120k copies after being out for 2 months. The guy is hella creative with his rhyme style; and transitions very well from crunk music to true lyrical essence. Unfortunately he spent most of his career being compared to Em, went dark after he and Timbaland parted ways and came back on the scene too soon after Paul Wall experienced success

Honorable Mention #1: Lil' Wayne I will confess that it took me a long time to get on the Lil Wayne bandwagon. Wayne was constantly being overshadowed by Juve when the Cash Money Millionares first debuted in 1999. Believe it or not it wasn't until I heard (what I thought at the time was) an a-capella freestyle on Rap City in early January which ultimately turned into his verse for the remix of T.I's "What You Know?" Where I actually paid attention to him. In 4 words: The guy flips it! Next to the guy who I have in slot 4 Weezy Wee's strength is in riding a track

#5: Busta Rhymes I've been a fan of Bussa Buss since another case of that ol PTA (or did the Scenario by ATCQ come out first)? At any rate this guy has proven overtime that when you do a remix, you gotta put Buss on the track! From his animated movements to his Puffy coached quiet delivery, Buss will pump out a hit for you. My concern w/ Buss is that he's now w/ Aftermath records, and let's be honest...my unborn seed will probably be graduating Junior High school by the time Buss' album comes out. Buss is also becoming what I like to refer to as "A Hip hop Accessory". That is being featured on other people's work and shining, yet having issues carrying his own projects by himself (see Nate Dogg)

#4: T.I. The personification of "He has a purpose in this game" Honestly there isn't too much I can say about the founder of Trap Muzik and the Grand Hustle Organization. It's not that I've ever been impressed w/ this guy's lyrical ability...but man CAN HE RIDE A BEAT! And his delivery is awesome. Let me give you an example:

Fresh off the jet to the block
Burning rubber with the top popped
My partners busting shots, I'll tell them stop it make the block hot
Yo label got got
Cuz you are not hot
I got the top spot
And it will not stop
----T.I. "What You Know?"


Reading those lyrics you're like so what? But timed w/ the delivery and the beat of the song, will have you at least wondering "Damn did I just hear a tight lyric? Or am I just hypnotized by the beat and delivery of those lyrics?"

#3: Fabolous If I were from Brooklyn this would easily be described as a homer call. Real talk, I've been diggin' this guys flow since the "Where My Girls at?" remix by 702. And he sealed the deal for me after his part in DJ Clue's Fantastic Four Pt 2 (coming after Jadakiss on a posse track...that's not an easy task). Coming into the game using the Puffy marketing formula; that is being featured on everyone else's track before you even come out (See Mary J Blige, Ma$e and Akon)


In my hood the slower you move, the quicker they get you
Sometimes it's somebody in your click that be with you
That's why my vest is thicker to get thru
And I keep 2 nines on my shirt like Dickersons shit do
Why waste my breath when I'm bickering with you
I'd rather waste my techs till they flicker and hit you
You sick cause my shit blew
And you ain't goin' nowhere for a while
A commercial where Snickers will fit you, fucka!
---Fabolous "Jackin' For Beats" The Game f/ Fabolous


I'm very happy that he no longer spells his name everytime he flows and the joint "Breathe" that dropped in 2004 is still favorite of mine! He could tone down on the "totin' gats" persona, but other than that The guy is F-A; B-O; L-O; U-S

#2: 50 cent HATE HIM OR LOVE HIM, THIS GUY IS STILL ON TOP. Whenever you mention the words "Hip hop" to the mainstream 50 cent is what comes up. Let's admit it, the guy can not only flow, but to paraphrase Jay-Z "He is a hustler baby, he'll sell water to a well". My main critiques with 50 are that he'll drop more corny ish than bangin' ish; and he sings on all his hooks (which is what he dogged Jeffrey Atkins out for (Ja Rule for my hip hop impaired). 50 definately understands "The Game" (no pun intended to Jaycen Taylor) and he'll be here to stay for a long time.

Editor's Note: This spot was originally reserved for this cat below


However due to 50's financial strong hold he has on Jaycen Taylor (b/k/a The Game) Game has been forced to make a temporary living on the mixtape circuit, until he drops his second album. But don't hold your breath...he also is on the Aftermath Record label (Reference my dissapoint for Busta Rhymes earlier above

#1: Ludacris

Damn! What's with all the long faces?
You're wookin pa nub in all the wong places
Let's hit clubs and girls will take a shirt off
If not for me for the raspberry Smirnoff
Then me and Ursher can knock 'em all
Then we up and disappear like socks and drawers
A-Town!! Hit the block and get rowdy
We puttin up A's like Summa Cum Laude's
Yeah I graduated at the top of the class
And yeah I'll strap a harness to the top of yo' ass
And I, told 'em befo' the parties don't stop
So like Ripley's, you "Believe It Or Not"
And when you don't realize I'm the best ya had
Now you sittin at home and you got it bad
OHH! I'ma get nice and move slow
So drink some prune juice and let the shit go
---Ludacris "You don't have to call" (remix) Usher f/ Ludacris


Other quotables include:

The entire song of "Area Codes" His 2nd verse in "The potion" His verse in "Unpredictable" by Jaimie Foxx...the list goes on. If only his lead singles for his albums: "My Fantasy", "Roll Out" "Stand Up" & "Get Back" are too corny for me, but they are radio friendly thus serving the purpose.

I know I really haven't said much about Luda...but I feel I don't need to. Wait, let me also add the fact that I love how this dude makes his voice flucuate with the flow. Nobody on radio is touching this kid right now, and he's not only the best on the radio, but he's amongst the best in the game!


Not only do a lot of artists (term used loosely) in 2006 suck, but they are mainly gimmicks. Sadly though most of these beats that these artists rhyme along to are out of this world and it seems as though the Bandstand formula will never die

"I like the song"
"It has a good beat"
"And I can dance to it" (although I still argue that the noun dancing is widely left up to interpretation these days

Big ups to Luda, 50, Fab, T.I. & Bussa Buss for at least making me tune into the radio just to see what's the latest thing you all have going...

I'm out

The kid who wonders why the best alliance in Hip Hop only put out one album together?

B. Holcomb

P.S. Peace to MTV and your greatest emcees of all time list. Although I don't 100% agree, I was actually impressed w/ your list nonetheless

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

GOOD POST, B.

1) case of the PTA came out before Scenario :)
2) hip hop accessories: see Kelis also
3) You aint EVER lied about T.I. his voice, his swagger, his delivery makes him irresistable to me as an artist
4) i'm surprised to find out that you dig luda. i dunno, i've always been a fan, mainly because i like dirty rap songs and he's funny, but that's dope you can appreciate that he's got a charistmatic flow.

blogger templates